Friday, November 7, 2008

I'm back! It's been a busy few weeks since I last wrote, between an onslaught of strep throat infections at work and the election, I'm utterly exhausted! Even though the election was decided fairly early on Tuesday evening, I was up too late because I was too stirred up to go to sleep. I was so excited but also apprehensive about our future as a country. Anyway, I'll stop talking about the election, since I have no new and/or amazing insight to add to all the discussion, except that I am very proud of the people of the United States.

On a completely different note, I had a patient this week that reminded me of Stuart from MadTV. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U02xbYhhjxQ

My patient was a little younger, fortunately, and I was not thrown out of the window, only because we don't have windows in our exam rooms. But his mother just stood there and watched, then reinforced his behavior by comforting him. She then proceeded to threaten him with a shot if he wasn't good, asking me to back her up on that!! The boy had already dismantled the exam room and managed to pull down almost all the stickers off of our sticker boxes...all this within the first few minutes before I even walked in. The first thing he did, actually, when he arrived at my office, was set off the fire alarm in the patient bathroom. As soon as the alarm went off, I knew he had arrived - it's one of his favorite things to do!

This boy can be well-behaved, I've seen it. When he comes in with his grandmother, he's fine. We've come to an agreement with the physical exam: he holds the stethoscope for me on his chest, I hold it when I listen to his lungs; he holds the otoscope with my hand on his, same goes for the ophthalmoscope. So, needless to say, when I see how he behaves with his mother, it frustrates me. When I ask her about it, she explains to me that his feelings get hurt when she disciplines him, so she's given up. I offered her a session with our social worker to help her understand how she can be her son's friend but also his mother...she was interested, now we just have to see if she shows up; until then, I can only hope that he comes with his grandmother!

We all have our Stuarts, be they children or adults. Sometimes we can work with them, sometimes we can't. They can be difficult to examine, and I always worry about missing something, a murmur for example, when I have one of these wild screaming ones. But, when I'm ready to pull my hair out, I just think about Stuart, and I start to laugh, and think, in his voice, "I can do it...."

No comments: