Saturday, May 24, 2008

we're off!!

Thanks for the comments! It's pretty exciting to see that some people have found the blog. Then again, it is somewhat obvious on the PedJobs website! Please do understand that everything in this blog is just my opinion, so I can enjoy saying things like, "Go Red Wings!!!" I'll try to stay away from politics, although as the election draws near, I may not be able resist making some comments.

In my days here in TorC, I take care of children of different ethnicities and widely varying home lives. My staff and I have some frustrating days when people don't show up for appointments, or when phone numbers given on one day have been disconnected the next, but we have learned together to laugh about as much as we can. We also share stories with each other which allows us to blow off steam or to celebrate happy events. I have started to write down some of the funnier ones, so that I can go back and look at them and laugh or cry. One of the reasons my husband and I chose to move here was that we felt it would be the most interesting place to serve my time, and it hasn't disappointed.

I want to share one of the more amusing stories in particular with you. It was during my first few months here. A fifteen year old girl came in with respiratory complaints. Since this was my first time meeting her, I asked if she was a smoker, which she was, about a pack a day. I asked if her parents smoked, which they did, then I asked if her siblings smoked as well, which, of course, they did. Then, being a smart alec, I asked facetiously, "does your dog smoke too?" to which she responded, "she eats the butts we throw on the ground." Yikes. I guess that's what I get for trying to be funny!

Well, I need to stop for the day. I am still getting used to the idea of this blog. Next time, I'll have more to say about some job issues which are quite relevant to me at this stage of my life.

No comments: